What is digital Marketing?
- Digital Marketing is the process of building and maintaining customer relationships through online activities to facilitate the exchange of ideas, products and services that satisfy the goals of both parties.
- Digital Marketing is the promotion of products or brands through one or more forms of electronic media. It is totally different from traditional marketing as it involves the use of channels and methods that enable organisations to analyse marketing campaigns to enable them to know which is working or not. It is basically a real-time analysis of marketing.
- The difference between digital marketing and traditional marketing is that traditional marketing does not offer constant feedback and reports
- Digital marketing centres around the internet, which has become both a communication vehicle and a powerful marketing medium.
- According to Wikipedia, Digital Marketing is the practice of promoting products and services using database driven online distribution channels to reach consumers in a timely, relevant, personal and cost-effective manner.
Importance of digital marketing
- It helps in reaching and engaging the right audience
A specific goal of digital marketing is that it is about generating sales and capturing leads from customers who are searching on the Internet .
Digital media is an ever-growing source of entertainment, news, shopping and social interaction. Many organisations have used celebrities to get the attention of their customers. See two examples below; Funke Akindele in the Glo adverts and Wofaifada in the recent hotels.ng’s advert.
Do you need a digital Marketing strategy? Yes
5 Reasons why your business needs a Digital Marketing Strategy
- Strategic Direction– Few companies have clearly defined digital marketing strategy, clear targets market, objectives, strategic priorities or a well-developed brand vision. Consequently, they may not reach the right audience. If you want a wedding package, it is better off on Bella Naija than on Linda Ikeji because they both have different unique value propositions. In having a strategic direction, digital marketing enables you to know the potential channels to meet your target market and it also helps businesses to understand and pass messages to their particular target market.
- To better understand your online market share– The demand for online services on the part of the customers are majorly underestimated. In other to understand the online marketplace which is very different from the traditional channels you have to take into consideration your customers profile and behaviour, competitors, propositions and also different marketing campaign options.
- You want to dominate the digital landscape– If you want to be the leader in your industry, and dominate the digital landscape, then you need a coherent digital marketing strategy. When it comes to digital marketing, your initial focus should always be on building Marketing Gravity, which involves maximising your reach with the aim of attracting people to your unique brand value.
- You don’t know your unique brand value– Unique brand value is the powerful combination of a distinctive value proposition and a truly unique brand that effectively enhances the perception of value. If you haven’t yet established this, then I urge you to discover this before you do any more digital marketing .These are a key factor in building the brand.
Related Post: Perception VS Reality (Branding as a business Strategy) Case study: Jovago, Hotels.ng, Oyo rooms
- You are wasting time and Money– Even if you are devoting significant time, talents and other resources to digital marketing, if you don’t have a clearly defined digital marketing strategy, it’s highly likely that you are wasting time and money. This is increasingly evident in small-to-medium-sized businesses who are overwhelmed with so much information about social media, pay-per-click advertising, search engine optimisation, content marketing, and other forms of digital marketing.
Benefits of Real Time Digital Marketing:
There are two categories of digital marketing; the online digital marketing and the offline digital marketing.The offline digital marketing is mostly teleshopping (e.g. the ones on Lagos BRT buses), telemarketing, electronic billboards and mobile marketing (SMS, QR codes).
The are 7 big areas under Online digital Marketing are listed below:
- Search engine optimisation
- Search engine marketing
- Content marketing
- Social media
- Pay per click
- Affiliate marketing
- Email marketing
Subscribe and stay tuned to our series as we expand upon the above seven big areas of online digital Marketing. Start and Stay Insightful.
Picture source for ‘Benefits of Real Time Digital Marketing’